Development in and near wetlands, streams, and floodways can have adverse effects on water quality, floodwater elevations, and riparian habitats. According to Title 25, Chapter 105 of the Pennsylvania Code, a person may not change, expand, or diminish the course, current or cross section of a watercourse, floodway or body of water without first obtaining a written permit from the Department of Environmental Protection. The Clinton County Conservation District is delegated responsibility for some aspects of the Chapter 105 program. District staff can review and issue several General Permits, inspect permitted sites, investigate complaints, and provide regulatory and permitting assistance.

PA Code, Title 25, Chapter 105 in most cases requires stream and wetland permits (otherwise known as a Chapter 105 General Permit), for any activity that changes, expands or diminishes the course, current or cross-section of a stream, floodway or body of water. A Chapter 105 General permit is required for things such as fish habitat structures, installation of docks, bank rehabilitation projects, road crossings, and wetland disturbance.

Chapter 105 General Permits

The Clinton County Conservation District can review and issue nine Chapter 105 General Permits. General Permits were created for activities or structures that do not pose a significant threat to flooding or the environment. Larger developments that impact streams, wetlands, or floodways may require a Joint Water Obstruction and Encroachment Permit from the PA DEP.

  • GP-1 Fish Habitat Enhancement Structures: For the installation of PA Fish and Boat Commission approved habitat structures.
  • GP-2 Small Docks and Boat Launching Ramps: For the construction of pile-supported or floating docks and ramps.
  • GP-3 Bank Rehabilitation, Bank Stabilization, and Gravel Bar Removal: For projects that stabilize eroding stream banks or remove gravel bars in streams.
  • GP-4 Intake and Outfall Structures: For water intakes such as dry hydrants or irrigation pumps and outfalls including pond drainage structures.
  • GP-5 Utility Line Stream Crossings: For any utility line that crosses under or over a stream or wetland.
  • GP-6 Agricultural Crossings and Ramps: For stream crossings installed for an agricultural purpose.
  • GP-7 Minor Road Crossings: For permanent road crossings of wetlands or streams using a bridge, culvert, or clean fill material.
  • GP-8 Temporary Road Crossings: For temporary road crossings of wetlands or streams using a bridge or culvert.
  • GP-9 Agricultural Activities: For development related to agriculture that encroaches into streams, floodways, or wetlands.
  • GP-10 Abandoned Mine Reclamation Permit *

Links and Information