Clinton County provides First-Time Homebuyers Closing Cost Assistance to promote homeownership opportunities, and Owner-Occupied Home Rehabilitation Assistance to keep our housing stock in compliance with current building codes. Weatherization assistance, handicap accessibility improvements, pre-purchase counseling, foreclosure prevention counseling, and utility payment assistance are also available to Clinton County residents through our Community Action Agency, STEP Inc. Families with incomes below 80% of the area median are eligible for these programs. The definition of area median income is published annually by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. The 2018 levels are:
|Household Size||Maximum Household Income|
Closing Cost Assistance Program
The County Affordable Housing Fund will provide closing cost assistance in the form of a 0% deferred loan to cover normal closing costs for first-time homebuyers, up to a $2500 maximum. Awards follow these criteria:
- A first-time homebuyer is defined as a household that has not owned a home during the past three years.
- The home to be purchased must be located within Clinton County.
- The home buyer must plan to occupy the property as a principal residence. Seasonal homes are not eligible.
- The property must be a single-family residence that conforms with the Municipal Zoning Ordinance and the PA Uniform Building Code.
- At the time of closing, a lien will be placed against the property requiring that the loan be repaid when the property is either vacated or sold.
- The County will conduct a financial interview to determine eligibility.
To apply, please call or email the Planning Department.
Contact: Gabriel Caprio, Grants Administrator
Phone: (570) 893-4080
Owner-Occupied Home Rehabilitation Program
Using Community Development Block Grant, Keystone Communities, Act 105 PHARE, and Affordable Housing Funds when available, the county covers the cost of code compliance and/or handicap accessibility improvements to owner-occupied single family homes. The types of repairs vary widely from correcting deficient electrical or plumbing service, to removing lead-based paint, to replacing rotted structural members, to fixing leaking roofs. Accessibility modifications may include widening doorways and halls, installing grab bars, building wheelchair ramps, and so forth.
To apply, please contact our housing program provider, STEP, Inc.
2038 Lincoln Street
Williamsport, PA 17701
To access Clinton County Homeless Shelter and Other Homelessness Services
Dial 2-1-1. This is our primary referral number for people in immediate need of housing, whether just for one night, for a short period, or permanently.