Although we do not do extensive searches, we will gladly furnish any information available in our office. Many times wills or estate files will reveal family information that will lead to a completion of your search. Contact the Register & Recorders Office for fee information.
Clinton County was created on June 21, 1839. Until this date Centre and Lycoming were the counties that occupied the land that became Clinton County. Our office maintains land and estate records from 1839 until the present time.
Our Marriage records start with October 1885 and continue to the present. Since we do not have a general index for the marriages, it is necessary that an approximate date of marriage be known to assist in finding the record of the marriage. We have found some records that were never completed. This does not necessarily mean that a marriage never took place, many times the person conducting the ceremony neglected to return the duplicate marriage record, thereby making our records incomplete.
We have Birth and Death records that cover the years from 1893 through 1905. Prior to these dates there were no public records kept. Since 1905 all birth and death records are kept in New Castle, Pennsylvania and can be obtained by contacting the Department for Health Division of Vital Statistics.
In doing your search do not forget to check in old books, Family Bibles, and Church Records. You may want to check the following places for additional information:
Heisey Museum, 362 East Water Street, Lock Haven, PA 17745, Phone: 570-748-7254
Ross Library, 232 West Main Street, Lock Haven, PA 17745, Phone: 570-748-3321
History of Deserted Villages
(the following information was compiled by Karen Lightner from the Register & Recorder's Office)
ABDERA - in Porter Township - on the Jacksonville road about three miles below Lamar. There was a post office in Abdera that at one time was Knect's Grist Mill. A horse and buggy brought mail from Mill Hall to Parvin and Abdera.
EAGLETON, PEACOCK & ROCK CABIN - all located along the Renovo Road in the area of Tangasootac.
HALLTOWN - one mile south of Swissdale crossroads - later became part of Swissdale.
MONSEYTOWN FLATS - in Woodward Township at Upper Lockport. Was a Monsey Indian Village.
PARVIN - in Porter Township - from Lamar take Ridge Road toward Jacksonville Road about 1/4 mile to the crossroads - this is Parvin. The only building remaining is a "falling down" structure that was the "Parvin Post Office". Before being a Post Office the building was a Blacksmith Shop.
PATTERSON - in Wayne Township - a Shawanee Chief ruled the town. Parts of this town at the mouth of Chatham Run are now part of Dunnstable Township.
REVELTON - originally Revelsville
ROUND ISLAND, WISTAR & NASBY - in East Keating Township
TUCQUAMINGY - in Wayne Township
WHETHAM - in Grugan Township
Village Name Changes
(the following information was also compiled by Karen Lightner of the Register & Recorder's Office)
AVIS - was known as OAK GROVE
BEECH CREEK - was known as QUIGLEY'S MILLS
BELLEFONTE AVENUE (in Lock Haven) - was known as CLINTON AVENUE
DROCTON (in Chapman Township) - in now RENOVO BOROUGH
DUNNSTOWN - was DUNNSBURG (named for William Dunn)
GREEN-BURR - was GREENVILLE
HYNER - was spelled HINER by the Post Office Department, however, the Railroad Company spelled it HYNER
LAMAR - was BELLE SPRINGS then became YANKEETOWN
LOCK PORT - was LOVELAND then became LOCKPORT. The word was later split into two words. Loveland had its own post office.
LOGANTON - was LOGANSVILLE
LOVE'S RUN - in Wayne Township - now part of PINE STATION
MACKEYVILLE - was HAMBURG
McELHATTAN - was WAYNE STATION
NORTH BEND - was YOUNGWOMANSTOWN then became NORTH POINT. YOUNGWOMANSTOWN (chinis-quay-ka-non) was the oldest name in the history of the West Branch Valley.
Part of LOCK HAVEN and part of ALLISON TOWNSHIP - was called OLD TOWN
QUEEN'S RUN - was QUINN'S RUN
RAUCHTOWN - was RAUCH'S GAP
RENOVO AREA'S first Post Office was in DRURY'S RUN
ROTE - was FLAT ROCK
SALONA - was MUDTOWN then became McGHEE'S TOWN then MECHANICSBURG, Before becoming Salona
SWISSDALE - was PLEASANT VALLEY then CHURCHVILLE then GERMAN SETTLEMENT and part of it was then HALLTOWN
WESTPORT - in Noyes Township was KETTLE CREEK
WOOLRICH was RICHVILLE